Friday, February 4, 2011

Find Out Friday: Shampoo

I hear all the time about how "something" is going to kill us. Why am I so drastically trying to change our life-style? Why am I going against the every day American way?

Let me clear it up for you... Why am I so wrapped up in trying to better my family's health and well-being?

I know something is going to take us home to our Father. I know that changing our life-style to natural and healthy isn't going to save us or make us immortal. God's plan is set in motion. However, I do feel a mandate from our Heavenly Father to take the best care of my and my family's "temple" the best that I can. I am doing what I feel is best for my family and in all this research along the way, I just know some things are bad for us. I am not doing this because it's becoming a "fad" or trendy, I am doing this because I cannot just look the other way. I cannot live knowing something I am putting into my child could harm them. I just cannot and could not live with that - I am doing what I feel is best.

With that being said, I am turning back to our regularly scheduled post...

I tried the "no poo" thing. It did not work for me. I could not get past the "dirty" feeling I felt. I felt like I could not totally get clean without using shampoo and having clean hair.

Let's get some background on why I feel shampoo is dangerous for myself and my family...

First of all.. The skin is the largest organ of the body. Our skin absorbs every chemical we put on it and the chemical goes straight into our bloodstream.

Second of all.. There are many dangerous chemicals found in your every day shampoo:
  • Ammonium laureth sulphate - a chemical found in most shampoo which is known to be highly toxic and cancer causing.
  • Sodium Lauryl Sulfate - a chemical that is used in car degreasers and floor cleaners. It is known to cause blindness. It causes skin irritations including dermatitis and allergic reactions.
  • Lauramide DEA - used to create more foaming. Known to cause cancer.
  • Polyquaternium - used in conditioner. It causes skin problems and possibly anaphylactic shock.
  • Propylene Glycol - used in anti-freeze.
These are just a few of the chemicals found in shampoos and conditioners.

With that being said.... Does anyone have a good yet affordable natural shampoo/conditioner idea to offer? I just cannot handle the "no poo" method!


Have you tried the "no poo" method and it worked for you? Did you know there was all that unhealthy yucky stuff in shampoo/conditioner? Please share!

    3 comments:

    Courtney said...

    Not to be argumentative, but do you think that much of your shampoo IS actually absorbed into your skin? I mean hair doesn't actually absorb it and you rinse it right off. I don't know. That's kind of why I haven't tried too hard to find anything "safe". I could be totally wrong though. If and when we do step away from shampoo, I'll go to a shampoo bar. There are oodles of sellers on Etsy. CCO makes a good conditioner. Shea butter is another one. I use a tiny drop of it to tame the ends of my girls' frizzy winter hair.

    Jodi said...

    I think if you massage and deep clean like I do, it is unhealthy. I am not one to put on and rinse off - I dig my nails and clean out the yuckies! Maybe I should just stop doing that? :)

    Courtney said...

    LOL! I suppose you're right. I can see why the no poo didn't work for you. It's quite the opposite of scalp scraping. ;)

    Definitely look into some of those shampoo bars though. It'd be a ton cheaper than some of the organic shampoos I've seen.

    Post a Comment

     
    Copyright © Resolve to Simplify!
    Convert By NewBloggerTemplates Wordpress by WpThemesCreator